Welcome to the Programming Games Wiki
, a community site for programming game addicts. In a programming game players write programs to compete against each other. Feel free to add anything on-topic or just chat about the games on the discussion page.Edit
Featured Programming Games
was the first commercial programming game, originally written by Silas Warner for PLATO. In 1981 RobotWar was published for the Apple II by MUSE Software.
was a commercial game for the Amiga, Apple II, Atari ST, Commodore 64 and PC. OMEGA was designed by Stuart Marks and published by Origin Systems in 1989.
was introduced by A. K. Dewdney in Scientific American. The game Dewdney described has since been extended and implemented on a number of systems.
Programming Games in History
- 50 years ago: Victor Vyssotsky invented the first programming game Darwin at Bell Labs.
- 25 years ago: Chip Wendell's Mice nibbled their way to victory in the First International Core War Tournament.
- 10 years ago: Matthew Nelson released Robocode, a programming game designed to help people learn Java programming.
3D Arena Games Business management Combat Educational FPS Harvard Games Programming AI Programming Games Racing Games Task Games Von Neumann GamesEdit
Programming Games of Note
- AI Fleet Commander - AI programs control space fleets which battle in a simulated universe
- A.I. Wars (The Insect Mind) - up to 10 programs control a robot
- ARobots - up to 6 programs control a robot
- A-Robots another assembler language based robot fight variant
- AT-Robots - up to 32 programs control a robot
- Battlecode - MIT Programming Competition
- Beta the Game - Open Environment Platform Programming Game
- BF Joust - two programs battle in a shared memory array
- Bitbath - A real time strategy game where your code does the fighting.
- Bug Brain - is a game where you build brains to run a bug.
- c-jump - Computer Programming Board Game.
- Carnage Heart - is a video game for the PlayStation.
- Ceebot - Enhanced version of Colobot. A series of exercises to programming robots
- ChipWits - Program Robots using graphic chips.
- Colobot - programming robots to undertake a series of expeditions
- Color Robot Battle - two programs control a robot
- Combat Zone - AI controlled tanks battle it out in an arena
- Core War - two or more programs battle in a virtual computer
- CoreLife - up to 4 programs battle in a virtual computer
- Corewars 8086
- CROBOTS - up to 4 programs control a robot
- CROBOTS 3D - There is no difference from the old CROBOTS in the game rules, even the old robot versions (90s) can be loaded.
- Darwin - two or more programs battle in computer memory
- DROID - up to 7 programs control a robot
- DroidBattles - up to 8 programs control a robot
- Final Fantasy XII - console role-playing game for the PlayStation 2 and a sequel, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, released for the Nintendo DS.
- GalaxyFX - up to 4 programs control a spacecraft to harvest minerals
- GNU Robots
- GRID WARS
- Grobots - a game in which multiple robots eat, fight, and reproduce under the control of programs written by the players.
- Gate - is a puzzle game about logic.
- JS Robots
- JArmy - played team of robots, programmed by reacting on events from env.
- Light Bot - Light Bot 1 and 2. Control a robot by giving it commands. Use programmer-style logic for more complex levels that include functions to re-use.
- Marionette Handler - console game for the Dreamcast. Marionette Handler 1 and 2.
- NessBots - 3d web robots coding game. PvP, co-op, single player campaign, and much much more!
- Oort - fleets of spacecraft battle to control the universe
- P-Robots - up to 4 programs control a robot
- PlanetWars - two programs try to conquer planets in a simulated solar system
- Prog&Play - programming units of a real time strategy game
- RARS - Robot Auto Racing Simulation
- RGBattle - Action RTS programming game
- Robo-Arena - single player rpg where one program controls your robot
- Robocode - Java or .NET programs control your tank robot in arena. Build the best - destroy the rest!
- Robocom - Is a very simple visual programming language by programming your own robot.
- RoboRally - Board game
- RoboSport - Maxis developed this game for DOS, Macintosh and Windows 3.x. In 1992, it was released for the Amiga.
- Robot Battle
- Robot Odyssey - played by several CMOS programs solving puzzles
- RobotWar - up to 5 programs control a robot
- StarCraft Brood War - Starcraft AI Competition
- TclRobots - two or more programs control a robot
- Web Based Robot Programming Game